"Ensuring a good foundation for future learning"
Healthkids is a well established early childhood centre that is a not for profit community based business that has been open since August 1996 to many families of the Nelson and outer regions. We pride ourselves on providing a quality service that is in strong demand.
We are a licensed, chartered education and care centre as defined in the Education Act 1989. This act requires early childhood centres to be licensed by the Secretary for Education. The standards, which must be met for a centre to be licensed, are contained in the Education (Early Childhood Centres Regulations 1998/2008).
These standards relate to the centre’s premises and facilities, curriculum, staffing and management practices. They are intended to ensure the health, safety and well being of all children and staff while they are at the centre. Under current government policy only centres with approved charters are able to receive Crown revenue, bulk funding from the government.
We have a committed early childhood trained staff and a Board of Trustee’s, made up by parents of the centre who ensure our Philosophy Statement is upheld at all times.
- We believe that reflecting the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, with the inclusion of Reo and Tikanga in our centre enviroment and programme contributes towards a sense of identify and belonging both individually and as a nation.
- Children's cultural values, customs and traditions from home will be nurtured and preserved to enable them to participate successfully in our environment and community.
- We will promote respect of parents/caregivers/manuhiri/kaiako/whānau and children within the centre.
- We are committed to building strong partnerships with family and whānau.
- We encourage the development of secure and responsive partnerships between kaiako and children.
- We support children in forming healthy social competency and emotional literacy to become lifelong learners.
- We encourage and foster independence in children and support them to make meaningful decisions and choices.
- We support the children to be creative and develop their intellectual and physical potential.